This course works best in Microsoft Internet Explorer 5 (or above). You will need Windows Media Player (version 7 or above) and Macromedia Flash Player 6 (or above) in order to view any Activities.
To increase the text size, go to the View button on your browser toolbar and click Text Size (click Text Zoom in Netscape).
The course is presented in Lessons 1–8. Although it is advisable to start at the beginning and complete each lesson consecutively, the navigation tools allow you to jump from one lesson to another according to your needs.
You can navigate through the course in several ways:
- Lesson titles are listed along the top of the screen. Holding your cursor over any title reveals a list of sections for that lesson. Clicking on any section title takes you to the beginning of that section.
- At the bottom of each page there are pointers that link to the next and previous pages.
The following links appear in the left margin:
- Contents: Takes you to the Table of Contents; clicking on a heading will take you to that section.
- Resources: Opens a list of checklists and samples that you can print and lists of publications and web links.
- Help: Takes you to this page.
You may quit the course at any time by clicking on Exit Course in the top margin.
Citations of code sections are linked to the full text of the section so that you can quickly read the governing authority. References to Judicial Council forms are linked to online PDFs.
Some terms are highlighted in orange. When you place your cursor over a highlighted term, a definition appears as a tooltip.
- B&PC = Business and Professions Code
- CC = Civil Code
- CCP = Code of Civil Procedure
- Com C = Commercial Code
- EC = Evidence Code
- GC = Government Code
- Pub Cont C = Public Contract Code
- USC = United States Code
- CRC = California Rules of Court
Special features are identified by the following icons:
||The Tip Icon brings up practical advice or additional points.
||The Caution Icon alerts you to critical steps or prohibited actions.
||The How Would YOU Rule? Icon takes you to a hypothetical situation to which you can apply a principle from the text. You are asked to make a decision and then told whether your answer was correct and the reasoning behind the correct answer.
||The Example Icon takes you to an illustration of a principle about which you just read.
||Click on the Q&A Icon to see a question about an issue related to the text, as well as its answer.
||There are review questions at the end of each Lesson. By clicking on an answer, you will see whether it is correct and the reasoning behind the correct answer.
||Click on the Activity Icon to test your knowledge.
||REFERENCE >> References for further reading are introduced throughout the course.
If you are having difficulty in taking this online course or in obtaining your certificate of completion, please let us know.
Send an e-mail to: firstname.lastname@example.org.