How to Lower Your Teen's Risk on the Road
- No unsupervised driving allowed during nighttime hours (9 p.m. to 6 a.m.).
- Have a curfew and make it stick.
- Follow the Zero Tolerance Law.
- Don't allow your teen to have teen passengers in the first year of driving.
- Know the Graduated Driver's Licensing (GDL) restrictions.
- Know the law.
- Be a model driver yourself.
Driving is a privilege, not a right. As a parent, you are responsible for your teen's safety and the safety of everyone your teen shares the road with. You can always take away your teen's driving privileges if you feel he or she is likely to drive under the influence.